Monday 11 March 2013

Wedding Photography à la Bresson


So Henri Cartier-Bresson was inarguably the best reportage photographer ever, capturing the decisive moment like no one else on earth, one reason why I admire him and his work so much. In my way I try to adapt this reportage style to weddings. Believe me it is not easy. The wedding ceremony may be short but the day is long and each minute may seem to stretch forever as one waits for that moment to happen which my brain interprets as being the one to capture. An electric impulse travels to my finger tip that presses down on the shutter button and I hope I have not been one-hundredth of a second too late. If it were only the ceremony a wedding photographer can breathe easy.

However, he has to have eyes like that of a fly, with a 180 degree view. He has to have eyes on stalks that swivel around to watch if anything interesting is going on that should be captured. I admit it, this is also what makes wedding photography so interesting and appealing. No two weddings have ever been the same. Ceremonies follow a route but the participants are different and emote differently and in a short time I have to guess at their behavior patterns and anticipate reactions, my finger trigger happy to shoot when that decisive moment occurs. When I do it and present an album that is a collage of emotions, feelings, stories, I feel happy and clients more so that in turn makes me happier…. Job well done.

One could never claim to be the very best reportage wedding photographer. It would be like saying one flavour of ice cream is the best. 

No comments:

Post a Comment